End 2002 by “Futron Corporation” conducted a study on the potential of space travel (orbital and suborbital) and potential space travelers. Futron sought answers to the following questions:
- What is the size of the market for space travel?
- What is the growth potential of the market for space travel?
- What are the personality traits of the target?
- A 15 minute sub-orbital flight to the edge of space (like Virgin Galactic and Space Expedition Corporation currently wish to offer.).
- A two weekese space travel to a space station (Such as for example, the ISS)
- Fitness level (participants must be healthy and in good condition, both mentally and physically).
- Training time (Futron estimates that for a sub-orbital flight a minimum of 1 week training)
- Costs (It is unlikely that the price drops below U.S. $ 5 million for an orbital spaceflight. It is expected that the price for a sub-orbital trip around the U.S. $ 100,000 remains for several years as the market develops.
The research on the possibilities of space travel
Participate in space travel:On whether they wanted to participate in a sub-orbital spaceflight for 15 minutes that met all safety 46% replied that they did not (heel erg / erg) probably wanted to participate. 28% would however (heel) very happy to participate in a sub-orbital flight. When the participants, however, the boundary conditions such as training, a short flight history of the spaceship known, etc heard the names of participants who wished to participate, and the names of participants who did not want to go to. The percentages hereby changed from 46% naar 56% (not want to participate) and of 28toar 19% (be willing to participate). With an orbital flight to space station was the realistic description 18% (heel) very likely to participate and 64% veryl) unlikely to participate.
Important to see / experienced during space travel:There is hereby given to the order in which the participants “very important” found during a sub-orbital space travel:
- View of earth from space. (63%)
- Experiencing acceleration of a spaceship engine. (27%)
- Experience what only astronauts and cosmonauts have experienced. (26%)
- Weightlessness experience (24%)
About the potential space traveler:The investigation revealed that 57 jar the average age for miljonaires in the U.S. and 58% of the participants between the 50 en 64 year were. 70% of the participants were male and 30% female, corresponding to the proportions of the wealth tax in the U.S.. 35% working full-time, 29% is retired, 24% a private company and 12% works part-time or filled “Unlike” in. Participants saw space travel 3NA risco most activity, na skydiving a bergbeklimmen, the average score on Risco was 3 of the 5 point. 24% of the participants found it “the first” The principal reason for (the answers Otherwise, not interested omitted), followed by “seeing the earth from space” with 15% en 9% has a space trip as “lifelong dream”. andbsp;
Trackback from your site.